During the era of cut-throat competition and technology, skills are the primary requirement for the employers. However, in today’s scenario learning any skill has expanded the boundaries of classroom learning.
Online learning platforms such as Skillshare have enabled people from all age groups to learn anything from anywhere. With innovative courses in various subjects, technology has enabled the learners to learn any course through the platform’s teachers and courses. The platform supports more of practice based learning than just learning. Skillshare has courses in designing, business, technology, lifestyle, writing, photography, entrepreneurship, film, among others which focus on project completion during the course along with video-based classes.
Here are few features of the Skillshare platform that shall be of great value to you.
1. Learning through projects and workshops
• The learning model of the platform works in a way that facilitates people to take up free workshops and then further decide the course they would like to pursue. The workshops are available for free on the portal such as Creative Writing Workshop, Hand Lettering, Making Instagram work for your small business or brand, Lifestyle Photography for the holidays, are few among others which are currently available on the platform.
• These workshops through a couple of free classes help people to get an idea about the skills they are interested to pursue. It also provides a project to complete within the schedule and share feedbacks with the teachers and other peers. This process supports people to learn cumulatively.
2. Business model of Skillshare
Unlike other available online learning platforms, Skillshare asks its learners to pay monthly or annually which can help them save some amount. Udemy, one of the alternatives, asks the users to pay per course. However, charging per month or annually gives an opportunity to the learners to access any course throughout the portal. Skillshare also provides first-month free subscription for its new users.
• Learners while learning the courses at Skillshare can also share their projects freely with the peers and the community. This aspect of the platform not only supports the work of the learners but also help them promote it. The people visiting the Skillshare platform can either like, comment or follow the profile of the artist or the person who has posted the project. The platform also gives its learners an option to also share them on other social media platforms to further broaden the reach of the respective projects. The platform also helps the learners to make their own individual profiles where they can post their projects and let followers follow their work.
• Skillshare has a unique quality wherein it provides scholarships to people who don’t have an access to facilities of online learning. With specific eligibility criteria, people can either take scholarships, fund scholarships or even become benefactors. The currently available scholarships at the platform are Skillshare Student Scholarship and Skillshare Premium Scholarship. The platform also provides Premium Scholarship wherein learners can access all the courses offline while supporting teachers as well.
• Premium option at the Skillshare platform helps the user either pay monthly or annually while saving some amount. This option gives the learners access to around 24,000 classes. The learners can download the course modules offline without any interruption. The Premium option also funds the pool of royalty that further supports the teachers of the platform as well. It also supports the scholarships for the needy students who are not able to access the facilities of the platform.
4. Skillshare for business
Just like Udemy, Skillshare also provides collated classes for businesses, as per their requirements. While providing an admin, the platform allows the businesses to handle the admin as per the organization needs. It provides reports and helps you track the progress of the team. Skillshare has a brilliant pool of teachers who have learnt through their real-life experiences, unlike other instructors or teachers. The mobile application of the Skillshare gives a unique facility to the companies wherein they can access the course modules offline as well. With amounts either to be paid monthly or annually, the platform facilitates companies to fill the skill gap their employees require from time-to-time. The skills give an edge to each employee while providing them the work they always aspired.
5. Teachers at Skillshare
• Skillshare has an excellent community of followers which helps every teacher to not only share their work but also grow online and reach out to masses. Within no time, through Skillshare support team, teachers with any skill can film their classes and commence with their courses. These courses shall help them earn through their skills. The team supports the teachers in order to build their presence online also.
• Teachers are paid on monthly basis for each student whosoever watches their course modules. The platform boasts that each teacher of the platform has an average income of about $1,600 monthly. The teaching process works quite easily wherein people with any skill can film their class through the convenient upload tool. Teachers don’t have to come from high educational backgrounds rather just have to be passionate about the skill.
• Teachers are paid on the basis of minutes of the video watched by people or students. Teachers are also given a bonus on every student they refer to the Premium Skillshare membership. Hence, teachers can earn through their skills sitting at anywhere across the world.
• The platform has around 3 million students wherein both teachers and learners have access to tools available on the website. The teachers have to provide both video-based classes along with the projects for the students. The purpose of the class project is to facilitate each student to utilize their skills practically. Projects could be of any type but should be fun learning for students. Teachers are also provided with teacher handbooks that help the teacher understand the whole process effortlessly. Skillshare also provides a 30-day Teaching Workshop for teachers to support them build an everlasting course and module.